Your shopping cart is empty.
(8)-Week Course $190.00 Classes are forming for the Fall of 2021 Spaces are LIMITED
This (8)-week program is in (2)-hour weekly sessions. This course is designed for beginners who want to learn the basics of drawing from life. Drawing realistically has been a revered art ever since the ancients used mark-making to create the illusion of depth on a two-dimensional surface. Students will develop their representational drawing skills using a variety of charcoal media. As the course progresses, students will draw from still life, photographic references, and finally a live model. Through a series of demonstrations, in-class drawing, group critiques, and individual assistance from the teacher, students will develop their ability to draw convincingly from life. Focus topics include: composition, proportion, value relationships, edge relationships, modeling, materials, and stylization. In-class drawing exercises will focus on subjects exposed to one-source lighting and will vary in length from quick studies to more developed compositions.
WEEK: 1 & 2 - STILL LIFE: Drawing Basics
• Introduction to course: objectives, syllabus, and materials
• Lecture/Demonstration: the basics of drawing from life using the still life as a subject, use of materials and mediums
• Exercise: observational drawing from photograph and live still life in charcoal on paper, learning the use of lighting and texture with composition. Life: Observational Drawing Fundamentals
• Exercise: drawing from different perspectives in charcoal on paper. Working with lighting and composition to create great layouts
• Demonstration: more on observational drawing – focus on form under light, cast and proportion/scaling, techniques, positive and negative shapes in composition
WEEK: 3, 4 & 5 - PHOTOGRAPHIC REFERENCES: Technique
• Exercise: several quick studies based on 1 photographic reference - focus on implementing different techniques and capturing a different mood in each composition as students move around the subject.
• Lecture/Discussion: using different techniques to vary the focus, mood, and message of the drawing; evaluating and addressing tones • Exercise: observational drawing from a photographic reference in charcoal on paper
• Critique Work with class
WEEK: 6, 7 & 8 - PHOTOGRAPHIC & LIVE MODEL: Figure Drawing Fundamentals; Heads & Hands, Composition & Usage of Mediums
• Exercise: several quick studies based on the photographic model
• Demonstration: more on figure drawing – focus on form under light, cast and form shadows, proportions, and differentiating value and edge relationships; general proportions and anatomy of the head and hands
• Exercise: observational drawing from the subject in charcoal on paper
• Exercise: several quick studies based on the live model
• Lecture/Discussion: methods of emphasis and de-emphasis; examples of notable figurative drawings from art history will be used to communicate these concepts – focus on traditional works
• Exercise: observational drawing from the live model in charcoal on paper – focus on extended poses
• Live Model: Introduction to Ink and Color
• Exercise: several quick studies to longer pose based on the live model
• Demonstration: introduction to ink media – ink pen, toned washes, line, value, and edge; stylization and expressive methods of translating form
• Demonstration: introduction to color – focus on soft color pastels on toned paper
• Exercise: observational drawing from the live model using your choice of media
• Discussion: closing discussion
MATERIALS: Please Bring All Your Materials to Class Every Week
• Graphite pencils ranging in density (HB, B, 2B)
• Charcoal pencils ranging in density (medium)
• Compressed charcoal (hard & soft, several sticks)
• White drawing paper pad (18x24”), you will need approx. 5 sheets/day
• Rough newsprint pad (18x24”), you will need approx. 5 sheets/day, for weeks 6-8 (bring entire pad)
• Straight-edge ruler (12” minimum)
• Kneaded eraser
• X-acto knife with blades
• Hand pencil sharpener
• Sketchbook (min (8x10”), (choose a size that fits into your bag)
• Drawing clipboard
• Several sticks of soft color pastel (basic set)
• Waterproof black India ink
• Watercolor/ink brushes
• Archival pastel paper in varieties of grey (several sheets)
• Watercolor or Bristol paper (several sheets)
Materials can be ordered online at: Dakota Pastels or picked up at: Dick Blick located in Carle Place, 11514
Child classes are held M-F at: Art & Soul Studios in Nesconset, 11767
The presence of this badge signifies that this business has officially registered with the Art Storefronts Organization and has an established track record of selling art.
It also means that buyers can trust that they are buying from a legitimate business. Art sellers that conduct fraudulent activity or that receive numerous complaints from buyers will have this badge revoked. If you would like to file a complaint about this seller, please do so here.
The Art Storefronts Organization has verified that this business has provided a returns & exchanges policy for all art purchases.
Your satisfaction is our priority! We offer a 7-Day full refund guarantee on all wall prints. If you are not completely satisfied with your purchase, return for a full refund. Returns must be insured in its original packaging and shipping is at customer's expense. For all items other than wall art, all sales are final. Please see FAQ for complete Return, Refund and Exchange Policies.
This website provides a secure checkout with SSL encryption.
This is only visible to you because you are logged in and are authorized to manage this website. This message is not visible to other website visitors.
Click on any Image to continue
The above preview shows how to use the live preview on this website. The image displayed is just an example, and is not available for sale.
Your Artwork with
This means you can
Use the Camera on your
Phone or Tablet to
Superimpose Any Piece
of Art Onto a Wall
inside your home or business.
To use this feature, LOOK for the
"Live Preview AR" button
to the right of your selected artwork
when viewing individually
any piece of wall art on this website!
Below, select which favorite lists you would like to save this product into.
TO STAY IN TOUCH!
Subscribe now and we'll email you a
20% OFF COUPON
right now for your first purchase!
ON YOUR FIRST ORDER!
Subscribe now and we'll email you a
20% OFF COUPON
for your first purchase of any Art Print!